Some people call friendship “a mess worth making,” and I agree. Friendships can be messy and difficult, but worth all the trouble for the reward of joy, connection, and that wonderful feeling of being seen by another.
Today, I want to pepper you with some ideas of possible conflict that can happen between two good friends. The categories are love, life, and positive possibilities. Here we go!
Best Friends: Relationship and Conflicts
Best Friends Since Childhood: Possible Conflicts in Love
- One falls in love with the best friend (BFF), but best friend does not love them back
- They are secretly in love with each other
- One dates a person the BFF doesn’t like/agree with/get along with
- One dates an abusive person that tries to separate them from the BFF
- Dating each other didn’t work, now they must find a way to be friends again
- They slept together once and now must deal with the emotional consequences (or a baby!)
- They marry for convenience and now must navigate love (or no love, depending on your genre)
- One falls in love with same-sex BFF, but BFF is/isn’t LGBT+ (depending on your genre)
Best Friends Since Childhood: Possible Conflicts in Life
- As they grow into puberty, they develop different interests and friends
- As they grow into puberty, one rebels in self-destructive ways
- College separates them
- Marriage and children and work (busyness) separates them
- Death separates them, leaving one to deal with the emotional toll of losing the other
- One has kept a secret that hurts the other when they find out
- One takes a political stand that is opposite the other and it creates drama (which I guess is a possibility in 2019!)
- One commits a crime and the other must decide to risk their freedom to help them or not
New Best Friends: Positive Possibilities
- One opens up new possibilities in life for the other (the BFF takes them traveling, or trying new things, or thinking in new ways)
- The new BFF helps the other learn to trust again
- They solve a crime, fix a problem, or go through a change together
- They go through a difficult life change together (menopause, adoption, dealing with cancer, etc) and this adds a new level of meaning to their friendship
- One helps the other out of an abusive relationship
- The old BFFs meet again and rekindle their friendship
These are just a few possibilities that may spark an idea in your mind 🙂
Add in a zombie apocalypse, or magic, or a deeply religious theme, and the possibilities truly are endless! Close friendships are a minefield full of conflict and emotional options for your story.
Did I miss some? Share in the comments!
Take care and write on,
🌸 🌜🌸 🌜🌸 🌜🌸 🌜🌸 🌜🌸 🌜🌸 🌜